Renting Out Your Empty Home

Empty Homes

If you own an empty property but do not wish to sell it, it may make sense to rent it out. Not only would this provide a home for someone who needs it, but would also generate an income for the owner.

A number of options are available.

Through the Local Authority

If your empty home is in good condition (and meets current housing standards), we may be interested in including it in the private sector leasing scheme. Under the scheme, properties are leased on an annual basis and are used to provide temporary accommodation for households who have lost their previous accommodation through no fault of their own. Rents are set in line with the Local Housing Allowance for the size of property in question, and the Authority will pay the rent direct to the property owner during the lease period.  

For more information, contact the Housing Solutions Team on 0300 124 0050.

Through a letting agent

There are a number of private letting agents who provide services in Conwy, and are generally able to advise on market rents, property standards, finding and assessing potential tenants, drafting tenancy agreements and property management. As with all organisations, letting agents operate to different standards, so please ensure you make appropriate enquiries to satisfy yourself of what they will offer before you enter into an agreement with them. Most reputable accommondation providers are registered wuth one or more of the following:

  • National Approved Letting Scheme
  • Association of Residential Letting Agencies
  • National Association of Estate Agents
  • Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors – who also have a guide on letting a property and choosing an agent

Letting through a Housing Association

Some Housing Associations are interested in letting and managing privately owned property. For more information, please contact the Empty Homes officer.

Social Letting Agencies

Conwy Housing Solutions' Letting Department works proactively to ensure that we find the best tenants for your property.


We specialise in residential property throughout Conwy, with the aim of developing a supply of good quality, energy efficient private rented accommodation.


We believe our team, along with the assistance of Conwy County Borough Council and Carterfi Conwy has the experience and resources to successfuly let and manage your property.


Call 0300 124 0050 or click here for more information.

Letting it yourself

Some owners choose to let and manage the property themselves. The law stipulates that there are certain rights and obligations associated with being a landlord, and you should be aware of these when letting a property.

The Landlord Handbook, produced by ANUK and LACORS is an essential read for all landlords and potential landlords, and can be downloaded free.

In Wales, the national Landlord Accreditation Scheme provides existing and prospective landlords with access to training and information. Landlords must attend a landlord development session and sign a ‘code of conduct’ in order to become accredited.

Further information on becoming a landlord, and many of the  obligations and regulations you need to be familiar with, can be found on the following links:


Before letting a property

If you have a mortgage on your property, you are likely to require the consent of your lender before making it available to rent to someone else.

You may also need to obtain consent from (or at least to consult with):

  • Your freeholder - if you are thinking of letting out a leasehold flat
  • The Council’s Planning Department – if you are intending to make structural changes to the property, or change its use
  • The Council’s Housing and Environmental Enforcement section – who will advise on the standard a property must meet in order to be let
  • The Council tax department
  • Your property insurance company
  • Your tax office, accountant or financial adviser


For more information about empty homes, and bringing them back into use, contact the Housing Strategy Team, Regulatory and Housing Services, Civic Offices, Abergele Road, Old Colwyn or at


Empty Homes